A tribute to Village Reports Dedication- A tribute to those folks who gave so much time, energy and commitment to the village government.
Business and Industry
Albert S. Nadeau Aggregate Business was established in 1945. The super structure was built out of wood timbers due to shortages following World War 2. All the metal parts, such as crushers, screens, water pipes, and bucket elevators were second-hand from scrap yards. The Village Electric Department installed electric wires and transformers. A complete plant replacement was undertaken in 1958. The plant continues to be family operated as Nadeau Sand and Gravel today. Learn more about the early history of business and industry in Johnson by checking the gallery.
1st mine shaft Located at the end of Railroad St. Remnants can still be found behind the food shelf. The ore was transported to mill by train.
Mine Walls Talc ore runs in leases (like veins). This is a wall of Lease after drilling and blasting.
Mine Skip Hoist From a separate building skip is raised by large electric powered winch. Note the bar across the top. Each mark indicates where skip is in shaft.
Headframe Skip dups at top and ore falls into bins for different sizes. Note the hoist house in left of photo.
Loading Ore Truck Loading from bin of large sized ore. To left are 2 bin openings for smaller size. Probably early to mid -60s.
Jasper Lining Bricks of jasper stone (very hard) from western U.S., was used to line walls of Harding Mill.
Jasper Stone Some material used as liner, but some stone sized to mix with ore to fine crush it. Samples can be seen at Johnson Historical Society.
Harding Pebble Mill Like a large tumbler mill, lined with jasper bricks and tumble grinding talc mixed with jasper ball medium.
Flotation Operation This was the first mill in the country to use this process to separate very fine product from what was previously waste.
Atlantic Room (left) from the Hotel Johnson, which became Hill’s Furniture Store. Quality Market (right) was meat/fruit market operated by Joe and Sadie Salvatore and later by Bob Towne a Townes’s Market.
Beard’s Hardware Established circa 1928 on south side of Main St. Previously Riddle Brothers and now Downtown Pizza.
Railroad St. Looking south on Railroad St. Circa Early 1920’s . Nye Block on the right. The building on the left now houses the Laundromat and apartments.
Pearl St. Dam and falls on Gihon River located between the Gris Mill and Johnson Woolen Mill Building. Then Gris Mill building is now home to the Vermont Studio Center.
Sugaring This is the Floyd Ellsworth sugarhouse on Clay Hill. A lot of open land in the background that you don’t see today.
Grand Union Market This is a picture of the Grand Opening of Johnson’s first super- market. (now Sterling Market) Dick Sinclair Manager (on Right) Larry Manning clerk (left).
Johnson Woolen Mill Circa 1940 on Main St. The history of the woolen mill goes back as far as 1836. A New factory was build by D.A. Barrows in 1905. This building was the pants factory.
Johnson Woolen Mill Pearl Street plant for fabric manufacturing. Much of the dyed fabric was rinsed out in the river below.
Johnson Main St looking west. Photo circa 1940’s. Brick building on right was the bank, The Sterling Trust Co., on left the first full building is Beard’s Hardware and then the Johnson Pharmacy.
Intersection Main St and Railroad St. Note the Silent Policeman . There was also one at Pearl and Main St. intersection.
Marvin’s Store (Butternut Mountain ) This was home to the town blacksmith shop and garage (right of building ) and Fire station on left. Later connected as one building.
C.H. Stearns (left) Covered Bridge (center) Store / apartments (V. Despault block) (right) Immediately after the 1927 flood. Today the VT. Studio School (left) Pearl St. Bridge (center) .
Hotel Johnson- Early 1900’s The back this building was built in 1812. The rear of building was closed during prohibition. It last operated as hotel/tavern by St. Jock family. See old register at Johnson Historical Society. Later Hills Store /Quality Market. Today apartments.
Looking North on Pearl St. from Main St. Twin Covered bridges and early garage/ blacksmith shop/theatre/ apt. building on west side of Street.
Village Powerhouse 100C Looking north at the Powerhouse from the east end of the covered bridge. Removed in 2019.
Scott House Located on Railroad St. diagonally across from the Library. Longtime home of Dr. and Mrs. Scott . Dr. Scott was a veterinarian.
Landmark/Nye Block Built in 1868/69 Located on SW corner of Main and Railroad St. Built by Leonard Knight as a mercantile store in anticipation of Railroad to be built from Newport to Junction at Johnson. It burned in 1986
Vermont Electric Coop headquarters on School Street across from the school. It was built in the early 1950’s . Recently torn down and replaced with new housing unit.
Aura Richard’s Store Located on 100C in East Johnson, on left before twin bridges. For years this store was the center of East Johnson. In past years It was Charlie Bapp’s Gun Shop and the Winding Brook Bistro.
Horner’s Greenhouse. Route 15 West Originally a small convenience store and farm stand owned and operated by Ken Horner and his wife and family. Later a large green house. The Buggy man’s Antiques was part of that property.
Longtrail Tavern now Moog’s Joint. Route 15 West. Built and operated by Buddy Jones, it was originally called The Red Baron.
desGroseillier’s Funeral home formally located in the Holcomb House now home to the Johnson Historical Society.
What places and spaces in Johnson are the most important to residents? Community Values Mapping Comes to Johnson on Wednesday from 6 PM to 8 PM Sign in link is : https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81928165086 Meeting ID: 819 2816 5086 January 27th at 6 PM is a great chance to share what places in Johnson are most special to you. Join your neighbors to add your voice to a virtual community values map for our own. The Conservation Commission & the Planning Commission are pleased to host VT Fish and Wildlife’s Jens Hilke and his team of experienced facilitators to help us work together to create a Johnson values map. Jens will introduce values mapping on Miro, a simple-to-use digital whiteboard built to help participants collaborate with others on-line. Participants will be divided into small groups, each with a facilitator to help. Each group will have a map. One at a time, using markers to outline a location, participants will indicate what they value. Once an outline is drawn the participant will share what they love about their favorite place. Possibilities include places for recreation, wildlife, views, working forests, farmland, economic resources, cultural/social resources, historic sites, fishing, hunting, or many other options. Each member of the group has a turn with all the data being compiled for sharing with all the participants by the 8 PM closing of the event. Subsequently all the data will be compiled into a final map and report.
What places in Johnson do you love? What do you value about these places?
Sign in link is https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81928165086 Meeting ID: 819 2816 5086If you are unable to attend the live event but would like to participate, contact Lois Frey for information about other options.