Johnson, granted in 1782 to Samuel Johnson and others, was chartered as a town in January, 1792; in 1894 the Village of Johnson was incorporated. Nestled in the Lamoille Valley, it is surrounded by mountains and forests and is the meeting place of the Lamoille and Gihon rivers. In it’s beginning, the Gihon was the foundation for much of the water-powered mill economy, but it is also known for its woolen mill and former talc mines.
JOHNSON HISTORICAL SOCIETY CAPITAL CAMPAIGN
In 2014, the Town of Johnson purchased the former home and offices of Dr. Lyndhurst P. Holcomb, who practiced medicine in Johnson for 55 years. This important village building is now the new and permanent home of the Johnson Historical Society, in which to make our past come alive for generations of Johnson residents and visitors to come.
Inspired by this strong evidence of the town’s commitment to our shared history, the Johnson Historical Society has launched its first ever capital campaign with the following goals:
•To retire the town’s $250,000 mortgage for the JHS building now named the Dr. Holcomb House, which will serve as the eastern gateway of Johnson village’s newly restored Main Street;
• To underwrite ongoing and new programs and projects the Historical Society may now undertake in its wonderful new home.
Use the buttons below to make a one time or recurring donation!
(Making a donation requires the use of Internet Explorer 11 or Chrome browsers)
Heart of the Community
People make up the fabric of a community. One example is Hubert Beard, who with his wife Florence operated H. P. Beard Hardware on Main Street for 59 years. His community service activity included dedication to his church, the Waterman Masonic Lodge, and Johnson Boy Scout Troop 94, which he started in the early 1950s. His ability to fix or build whatever was needed for a project was legendary. On his School Street property, he built a rope tow for skiing and kept access to the Gihon River open for fishing and swimming, complete with a diving board and picnic table. Learn more about Johnson’s farmers, mill workers, talc miners, merchants, sugar makers, homemakers, teachers, clergy and more in the gallery.
Voters in Johnson chose to consolidate a number of village graded schools and high school in 1895. Construction of the first phase of the new school began on the present School Street site. The first graduating class in 1904 had three students. As more of the 17 one-room schools closed, an addition was added to the west-side of the building in 1911. Find more about public education in Johnson recorded in Gallery.
Business and Industry
Albert S. Nadeau Aggregate Business was established in 1945. The super structure was built out of wood timbers due to shortages following World War 2. All the metal parts, such as crushers, screens, water pipes, and bucket elevators were second-hand from scrap yards. The Village Electric Department installed electric wires and transformers. A complete plant replacement was undertaken in 1958. The plant continues to be family operated as Nadeau Sand and Gravel today. Learn more about the early history of business and industry in Johnson by checking the gallery.
Johnson Historical Society
188 Main Street, P.O. Box 383
Johnson, VT 05656
Linda Jones, Town Historian
Doctor Holcomb House Hours
Thursdays 9:00am – 12:00pm
Sundays 1:00pm – 4:00pm